7.05.2007

Happy July 5th!

Holidays just up the blog-induced stress ante. I love sharing my culinary adventures with you, truly I do, but after spending July 4th cooking myself silly and then playing Dazzling Hostess, it was all I could do to drag my ever-expanding tuchas onto our plush pillowtop mattress and pass out, let alone plunk myself down in front of the computer and start blogging. So, here’s a brief recap of our July 4th menu, with recipes, photos, and general patriotic merriment to follow. Much thanks to our forefathers for providing yet another excellent reason to cook.

- Hummus + pita chips: homemade hummus is simple to make and a lot tastier than most of the store-bought stuff available. Just chuck some chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, and olive oil in a blender and whizz it up. Fold in a handful of fresh, flat-leaf parsley and you’re good to go.

- Corn Crepes + Barbecue Chicken: I’ve never made barbecue sauce before, and I wanted to see if it was worth the effort. The results were excellent. The sauce and the corn crepes are from Michael Symon, of Cleveland’s Lola. He fills the crepes with duck confit; I went for the much thriftier roast chicken.

- Broccoli Slaw: A cool, crispy counterpoint to the crepes and tangy barbecue sauce, spiked with lots of fresh cilantro and a touch of celery seed.

- Berries with Fresh Ricotta & Crème de Cassis: Sounds oh-so-fancy-pants, but it couldn’t possible be easier. Whip a couple of tablespoons of crème de cassis into about 16oz of fresh ricotta, chill to set, and dollop generously on fresh berries.

I promise to share more details, as soon as the pictures are downloaded and I can free myself from this mountain of advertising that needs writing.

No comments: